Wedding Photos

Jun 2, 2008

Lorena's Latest May 2008

Hi Everyone!

I can hardly believe it is June 1st! We are still having lots of rain here, but today was a beautiful sunny day. So, to catch you all up on what’s been happening…

I was in Michigan late April/ early May to visit with supporters and was able to connect with a few of you I hadn’t seen in a while. Thank you for the encouragement and support you give me. I truly appreciate you. Woodside Bible Church has committed to continue support me in the El Refugio ministry for the next three years.

We have been preparing for a large group of 112 (plus facilitators and Desempre employees) to camp overnight and learn survival techniques this Thursday and Friday. The plan is to break them up into 8 groups of 14 and in the evening they will be given a live chicken with three options: 1) Keep it as a pet, 2) Set it free (we could have a few chickens running around the property after they leave), 3) Kill it and cook it for dinner. Most will probably choose option 3. The owner of the company is a Christian and we are excited about the opportunity to share our ministry and relationship with Christ. We also are preparing for a family team to arrive Friday evening.

Each weekend we have about four facilitators come to El Refugio to work with a retreat group or a project and build relationships. Last week Esteban, Monica (Monipos), Diego C, and Gerson came out and helped dig fire pits for the temporary campsites. We walked up on the property and spent time in prayer near the largest tree we have in the most unique ecosystem for the geographic location. I thought it would be fun to take them to see Indiana Jones 4, so we did that Saturday afternoon.

Yesterday, Vicki, Carlitos and Diego helped me with moving the last truckload. Brock and his children came too. (They are new missionaries with El Refugio.) Carlitos and I had a conversation about his desire to help the youth with sexual temptations. He said that weekend conferences aren’t enough. It needs to be consistent in our lives. I suggested that he start with a small group of guys and meet at least weekly for accountability. He really liked the idea but was concerned about trust and openness. Please pray for him and the guys he hopes to include.

This past week I have been packing and moving into a new apartment with a lot of help Juan Carlos and Matthew (El Refugio team members). The owner of the apartment is Danny’s aunt. They have been waiting for me to move into it, because they know they can trust me. They also gave me a good deal on rent. Please pray that gas will be connected soon so I can take hot showers, cook and do laundry. I pulled out my camping stove to heat up some vegetables.

Please pray for opportunities to connect and build relationships with the two companies Desempre is bringing to El Refugio this week. Also pray for the facilitators who are coming to help Diego P, Betsy, and Katy. Israel has decided that he wants to do his internship with El Refugio, so he is observing how we operate the kitchen and staff and will write up procedures and improvements for us! Hurray!

Remember my friend Vanessa (she likes to be called Vane). She met with a spiritual counselor (David’s mom) a week and a half ago and it really helped her. Please pray she will continue to meet with her and strengthen her faith from the disappointments she has had in ministry.

There is always so much to tell. It has been suggested to try weekly email updates, so pray that I will be disciplined and have time to send out weekly updates. Until next week!

Blessings!
Lorena Ferrari
Leadership Development Coordinator
El Refugio / Youth World / International Teams
www.haciendaelrefugio.org / www.youthworld.org.ec / www.iteams.org

No comments: